Tuesday 09 December 2003
Firebird Google Shortcuts
In Firebird Extensions and Opera, I mentioned a shortcut which I found useful in Opera and which does not appear to be duplicated in Firebird.
I received a couple of emails on this subject from Bill Stilwell and Keith Devens explaining that Firebird does indeed has useful Google short cuts.
Keith Devens advised that typing g wysinwyg does indeed work in Firebird, I have tried it and it performs a Google "I am feeling lucky search", so I did some research on this and found a page that enables me to change the search mode.
Bill Stilwell advised the following:
- Go to "Manage bookmarks..."
- Click "New bookmark..."
- Give it any name you want, and set the location to: http://www.google.com/search?q=%s.
- Select this bookmark
- Click Properties
- Set the Keyword to 'g'
- Click OK and close the Bookmark Manager
- Now you can type g whatyouwant in the location bar and search google
- Do the same for Googe Groups, using this url: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%s
- You should be able to add &num=100 to these urls to get 100 results, if that's what you want
I have tried to present Bill's instructions verbatim, except that I changed http://www.google.ca/search?q=%s to http://www.google.com/search?q=%s, ditto for the Google Groups.
In any case, I tried out both Keith and Bill's suggestions and they work