Friday 02 January 2004
Programming Targets for 2004
Everyone seems to be writing their Programming Goals for 2004 so here's mine:
- I will write or be involved with writing 120 business reports1 using JDE OneWorld's Enterprise Report Writer (ERW)2 for the company I work for by June 2004.
- I will pick up enough C to be able to debug my reports3 if necessary.
- I will apply the principles I learned from The Pragmatic Programmer both in my day job as a JDE Developer and also in managing this and other sites.
- I will keep up in my bid to learn Perl; this is an ongoing target and I am currently reading Chapter 6 of Learning Perl.
- I will decide on a Content Management System for my weblog and implement it.
- I will uninstall SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine from this PC and replace it with MySQL. I will also install the Apache Web Server and PHP on this PC and play with them all.
- I will do my best to qualify as a Professional Accountant this year (OK, this isn't a programming goal but I will keep it in anyway).
- I will increase my Lack Of Life Quotient.
1This is the target set by the company I work for because we are going live with an import module in June and the reports need to be in place pre go-live.
2JDE stands for JD Edwards the Financial Accounting Software used by the company I work for. JDE has been purchased by PeopleSoft.
3JDE OneWorld has an inbuilt debugger, but can also fire up Visual C++ as a last resort, in between the JDE Debugger and Visual C++, there is the JDEDebugLog which outputs the SQL generated for manual debugging.